Category Archives: Elberton GA

First United Methodist Church, 1889, Elberton

In History of the First Methodist Church of Elberton, Georgia, John T. Dennis notes that the first church built by this congregation was a wood-frame building, erected in 1848. The present structure was erected in 1888-89.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

First Baptist Church, 1897, Elberton

First Baptist Church was organized in 1860 and the cornerstone for this structure was laid in 1897. It was the third chapel used by the congregation and was replaced by a newer facility in 1965. This beautiful old church is still in use, serving as chapel and sanctuary for the Hispanic congregation.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Almand & Wilcox Building, Circa 1900, Elberton

This is better known as the Gallant-Belk Building, as it was home to that department store for many years. The building on the left is the Arnold Building.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Bicentennial Fountain, 1976, Elberton

This memorial fountain, made of local granite, of course, is located in Elberton Plaza, across Oliver Street from the Elbert County Courthouse.

 

Elbert County Courthouse, 1894, Elberton

This courthouse was designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt in the Romanesque Revival style.

National Register of Historic Places

 

Samuel Elbert Hotel, 1925, Elberton

Among the most unique of Georgia’s remaining old hotels, the Samuel Elbert has been a fixture on Elberton’s beautiful town square for 90 years. After a much-needed and long-awaited restoration, the Samuel Elbert Hotel reopened in 2017.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Elbert Theatre, 1940, Elberton

Opened on 23 February 1940 by Lucas & Jenkins, the Elbert Theatre was damaged by fire in 1950 but reopened soon thereafter. It stopped showing movies in 1967 and for a time served as a youth center. Purchased by the city in 1989, it was eventually restored for use as a theatre in 2001. Today, it hosts live shows and first-run movies.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

McIntosh Street Storefronts, Elberton

The large building on the left [above] is the Jones Building (1904).

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Sinclair Station, Elberton

This is now home to the Elbert County Chamber of Commerce.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places