Category Archives: Waynesboro GA

Green-Erwin House, 1896, Waynesboro

This was the home of Moses Edwin & Carrie Fulcher Green. Their unmarried children, Linwood and Edwina, inherited the house and were active Burke County preservationists and historians.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Simeon Bell House, Circa 1881, Waynesboro

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Wimberly House, Waynesboro

Also known as the Ellen Wimberly House, this is used by St. Michael’s Episcopal Church as a community outreach center.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

St. Michael’s Episcopal Church, 1895, Waynesboro

The congregation was founded in 1889 and the church built in 1895.

1 Comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Steadman House, Circa 1917, Waynesboro

Steadman House Waynesboro GA Mediterranean Revival Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Georgian Cottage, Waynesboro

Waynesboro GA Neoclassical Architecture Historic House Cottage Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Vernacular Greek Revival Cottage, Waynesboro

Waynesboro GA Historic District Yellow Neoclassical Cottage Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

The facade of this cottage has been modified with Greek Revival elements, which are the dominant feature.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Neely-Brown House, 1900s, Waynesboro

This home was built for Alvin Neely in the early 1900s.

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Historic Storefronts, Waynesboro

Old Waynesboro GA Storefronts Restorations Commercial Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

This row of historic commercial storefronts is known as Old Waynesboro.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA

Burke County Courthouse, 1857, Waynesboro

Burke County Courthouse Waynesboro GA Antebellum Institutional Architecture Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Burke County’s historic antebellum courthouse is actually the fourth to serve the county. A log cabin built in 1773 first served this purpose, followed by a wooden courthouse built in 1777. After it burned in 1825, temporary facilities were used until a third courthouse was built in 1856. It burned soon thereafter and was replaced by this structure in 1857. Expansions in 1899 by architect L. F. Goodrich gave the courthouse its present appearance. To accommodate population growth, an annex (pictured below)  was completed by the Public Works Administration in 1940.

Burke County Courthouses Waynesboro GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing South Georgia USA 2014

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

2 Comments

Filed under --BURKE COUNTY GA--, Waynesboro GA