Tag Archives: Architecture of Alexander Blair

McCaw-Massee House, 1901, Macon

This Beaux-Arts landmark [also known as the Crisco House] was designed by Macon architect Alexander Blair III for Wallace Eugene McCaw, Sr., president of the Macon Manufacturing Company, an oil and soap concern. During his time at Macon Manufacturing Company, Mr. McCaw invented a hydrogenated vegetable-based shortening which he marketed locally as Plantene. The formula was purchased by Procter and Gamble in 1910 and the product name was changed to Crisco. Mr. McCaw sold the house at this time and went on to a career as a vice-president at Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati. He died in 1933 while boating near his summer home at Diamond Point, New York, on Lake George, An autopsy determined that he had a heart attack and fell into the water.

The buyer of the house was W. Jordan Massee, a larger-than-life Macon character known as Big Jordan. Massee was a good friend of playwright Tennessee Williams and Big Daddy in the play was purportedly based on Massee. When Massee sold the house it was divided into apartments. After many years of decline, it was purchased and restored in 2013.

Macon Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

1 Comment

Filed under --BIBB COUNTY GA--, Macon GA

Murray County Courthouse, 1917, Chatsworth

Begun in 1916 and occupied in 1917, the Chatsworth courthouse remains the only such facility built after the removal of the county seat from Spring Place in 1913.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --MURRAY COUNTY GA--, Chatsworth GA

Wilkinson County Courthouse, 1924, Irwinton

This unusual courthouse has been expanded over the years; it’s very difficult to photograph. This is a side view.

2 Comments

Filed under --WILKINSON COUNTY GA--, Irwinton GA

Turner County Courthouse, 1907, Ashburn

turner-county-courthouse-ashburn-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2011

Designed in 1907 by Alexander Blair & P. E. Dennis…it remains one of my favorite courthouses in Georgia.

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --TURNER COUNTY GA--, Ashburn GA

Decatur County Courthouse, 1902, Bainbridge

bainbridge-ga-decatur-county-courthouse-photo-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2010

Architect Alexander Blair designed this structure in the Neoclassical Revival style, but added intrigue with the campanile-like clock tower.

National Register of Historic Places

Leave a comment

Filed under --DECATUR COUNTY GA--, Bainbridge GA

Montgomery County Courthouse, 1907, Mount Vernon

montgomery county courthouse mount vernon ga photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2010

Designed by Alexander Blair and constructed by J. H. McKenzie & Sons, this is the third courthouse built in Mount Vernon. Blair, whose most notable work was the Grand Opera House (1884) in Macon, designed eight courthouses in Georgia.

National Register of Historic Places

3 Comments

Filed under --MONTGOMERY COUNTY GA--, Mount Vernon GA