Tag Archives: Churches of Colquitt County GA

Mother Easter Baptist Church, Circa 1906, Moultrie

According to a synopsis published on their website, Mother Easter Baptist Church was founded in 1894 by Rev. James O. Kelley, Alex Deberry, C.W. Hall, Sim Baker, Will Peterson and R.W. Ramsey. The original site was on a 1875 foot lot located in Northeast Moultrie near the Tifton-Thomasville, Georgia Railroad Company.

The church is named in honor of the woman(Mother Easter) who gave the founders permission, before the original site was built, to hold services in her home. Today information about Mother Easter is limited; however, it is believed that she is the same Easter Smith on the 1900 population census for Colquitt County whom records corroborate was a sixty-five year old widow who owned her own home and worked as a domestic in the home of Daniel Horne.

Rev. James O. Kelley was the first pastor of the church. He was a dynamic minister and worked diligently to build his congregation. In 1898, Rev. Kelley resigned and George H. Hunter became the second pastor. In 1903 there was a fire and a new church was built on Third Street and services were held on first and third Sundays.

On January 25,1905 the new church and the pastor’s home was destroyed by a fire. On March 17, 1906, conference convened and the members decided to construct a new church. On March 22, 1906, the property on the corner of Second Avenue and Fourth Street Northwest, where the historic church now stands, was purchased from Issac M.D. Turner.

A new church as completed in 1985 and remains in use today.

I’m grateful to Mandy Green Yates for making me aware of this wonderful structure.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Moultrie GA

Indian Creek Primitive Baptist Church, 1959, Colquitt County

Indian Creek Primitive Baptist was constituted in 1895.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--

Hartsfield United Methodist Church, 1908, Colquitt County

On 20 September 1908, Florence Hartsfield deeded a tract of land to the local trustees of the Methodist church, O. C. Bell, C. J. Smith and J. L. Hartsfield. The church was constructed soon thereafter and the first pastor was Rev. C. A. Norton.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Hartsfield GA

Bay Free Will Baptist Church, Colquitt County

Note the similarity between this church and Funston United Methodist. They must have been built by the same contractor, likely a local builder.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Bay GA

Funston United Methodist Church, 1950

In 1900, a small group of Methodists began meeting at Union schoolhouse in Funston. A church was erected in 1905 and served until the construction of the present structure in 1950.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Funston GA

Chapel, 1960, Norman Park

This Space Age chapel is the focal point of the Mr. & Mrs. Warren T. Baker Center, a multipurpose facility built in the last decade of the Norman College era. I hope to learn the identity of the architect. It was a very progressive design for a small Baptist college in South Georgia, or anywhere for that matter.

4 Comments

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Norman Park GA

Norman Park United Methodist Church, 1903

Norman Park (known as Obe until its incorporation in 1902) was home to an early Methodist congregation known as Old Shiloh. Norman Park Methodist was an outgrowth of Old Shiloh and was built with timbers cut by members on land donated by Mr. & Mrs. R. L. Norman.

Leave a comment

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Norman Park GA

First Baptist Church, 1904, Norman Park

historic norman park baptist church photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This was originally known simply as Norman Park Baptist Church. For more about services and activities, visit their Facebook page.

4 Comments

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Norman Park GA

Murphy, Georgia

murphy-ga-photogaph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

The Murphy families were among early pioneer settlers who migrated from Duplin and Sampson Counties, North Carolina to this area between the 1790’s and early 1800’s. This area and surrounding land was inhabited by Lower Creek Indian tribes with campgrounds located along the nearby Ochlocknee River. It appears that these lands, for the most part, been explored on a limited basis by early settlers (early maps indicate that DeSoto’s expedition may have also visited nearby areas). The Murphys, along with several other families (Carlton’s, Lanier’s, Sloan’s and Alderman’s) apparently made several trips between here and North Carolina, using the old Thigpen Trail, in an effort to make a permanent settlement. These early families endured many hardships and dangers to establish a farming and trading community.

After the 1814 Creek and Seminole Indian war, these lands were ceded to the United States by the Treaties of 1814 and 1818, and became part of three counties granted charters under the State of Georgia. This local area was originally part of Irwin County, then part of Thomas County and now part of present-day Colquitt County. The Murphy’s and other families acquired these lands which had been divided into Land Lots of 490 acres and granted under the State Land Lotteries of 1818 and 1820. As pioneer settlers, they brought prosperity to the region, with large sheep and cattle operations, along with other agricultural crops (corn, tobacco, and cotton). At one time, the Murphy family land holdings reportedly were from just below present-day Meigs Road near Moultrie south to areas near the current Thomas County line. These early settlers operated commercial enterprises (including a gristmill, timber and sawmill, narrow gauge rail, retail stores, and turpentine stills), and also worked to establish a post office and school for the thriving and growing Murphy community. Land for the Murphy School was purchased by L.T. Dunlap, George Murphy, J.T. Kennedy, and T.A. Redding and donated to the School Board in 1906. When the Murphy School was subsequently combined with Sunset School, the land was deeded back to the Murphy Cemetery.

Among the original settlers (including several Murphy brothers) was Henry Murphy, whose son, James Murphy, was a community leader during reconstruction and a candidate for the Georgia House of Representatives in 1876. He was defeated in a controversial election and is burled at the Shade Murphy Cemetery, where several of the original families are also interred. It is located about 2.5 miles west of this site.

This marker is located near the original Murphy settlement and on land known as the Murphy Cemetery which was donated to the community for a burial site by Gibson Lanier (his parents, Murphy and Temperance Carlton Lanier, are buried at the Shade Murphy Cemetery). Gibson Lanier and his family and eight of James and Elisabeth Ann Murphy’s children are buried here. Many of the descendants of these early families are also interred in the Murphy Cemetery. This historical marker is intended to honor the memory and sacrifices of those pioneer ancestors, who were among the original settlers of this region.

historic-new-hope-free-will-baptist-church-murphy-ga-photograph-copyright-brian-brown-vanishing-south-georgia-usa-2012

New Hope Free Will Baptist Church

7 Comments

Filed under --COLQUITT COUNTY GA--, Murphy GA