Tag Archives: Georgia Greek Revival Architecture

John W. Woolfolk House, Circa 1835, Columbus

The antebellum Greek Revival plantation home of John Woolfolk in Wynnton, featuring tall columns, a centered entrance with steps, and surrounded by greenery.

The antebellum Greek Revival plantation home of John Woolfolk (1781-1861) in Wynnton is one of the most significant surviving houses of early Columbus. Woolfolk and William L. Wynn were the first settlers of the Wynnton area. Woolfolk, a native of Virginia, first came to Augusta before he began acquiring land in Muscogee County in the 1820s. He owned large acreage on the north side of Wynnton Road and purchased the land on which he built this house in 1832, the same year he was elected to the Georgia legislature. The house is important in terms of architectural history, but also African-American history, as it is estimated that approximately 180 enslaved people were held here before Emancipation, according to historian Calvin Schermerhorn’s The Business of Slavery and the Rise of American Capitalism 1815-1860. With his nephew, Austin Woolfolk he was a slave trader, who enslaved nearly 700 people in total. This gave rise to an urban legend suggesting the one of Woolfolk’s sons hunted down and killed slaves and buried them on the grounds or in the walls of the house, known in the legend as the House of a Thousand Cadavers. Of course, considering the value of the enslaved as property, this is highly unlikely. Perhaps the Woolfolk son was just particularly cruel.

Antebellum Greek Revival plantation home of John Woolfolk in Wynnton (Columbus), Georgia, featuring classical columns and a vintage car in the foreground. From Domestic Architecture of the Early American Republic, the Greek Revival by Howard Major, 1926.
Plate 119 from Domestic Architecture of the Early American Republic, the Greek Revival by Howard Major. J. B. Lippincott, Philadelphia, 1926. Public domain. No known restrictions.

Woolfolk’s daughters inherited his estate, which was already being subdivided to accommodate the growth of Wynnton, when he died in 1861. The property later passed to Judge William A. Little and was for a time known as the Little Place. In 1925, it was owned by Minnie J. Flournoy, who transformed it into the Colonial Apartments. She removed the original side porticoes, which have since been replaced, and added one-story wings to the house. This configuration (above) was documented in Howard Major’s seminal work Domestic Architecture of the Early American Republic: The Greek Revival (Philadelphia, J. B. Lippincott, 1926).

A historic Greek Revival plantation home surrounded by trees, showcasing its white exterior and tall columns.

National Register of Historic Places

John R. Dawson House, Circa 1837, Columbus

Front view of the Old Dawson Place, or Gordonido, a historic house with white columns and pink exterior, featuring a blue door and surrounded by greenery. Fire damage is visible.

This historic Greek Revival home, built by John R. Dawson (1810-1852) when the Wynnton area was first being settled and long known as the Old Dawson Place, is most commonly known as Gordonido today. A fire on 7 October 2023 did serious damage to the structure, especially to the roof and upper floor, as is visible in this photograph.

Dawson was a pioneer settler of Columbus, whose family relocated to the area from Maryland. He was a partner in the firm of Hill and Dawson, a successful planters supply company. Wynnton in 1837 was not part of the city of Columbus and the Dawson home was one of just a few country estates in the area. Originally situated on six acres, the property has been reduced to two acres over its nearly 200 year history.

After Dawson’s death in 1852, his heirs remained on the property until it was sold to Sallie L. Gilbert circa 1878-1880. A warranty deed identifies J. T. Willis as the next owner, in 1885. Frederick Barrett Gordon, president of the Columbus Manufacturing Company, purchased the Old Dawson Place in 1913 and his wife, Rosa Crook Martin Gordon, a founding member of the Woman’s Club of Columbus, oversaw significant improvements to the property. It was rechristened Gordonido, and was modernized while retaining its historical appearance. When the Gordons’ daughter, Margaret Gordon Richards inherited the home in 1949, further renovations, meant to return the house to its original appearance, were entrusted to local architect James J. W. Biggers.

A brochure published by the Historic Columbus Foundation in the 1970s noted: “Gordonido is exquisitely kept and one of the city’s most beautiful homes. It is recognized as one of Columbus’ most valued antebellum structures.

I’m unsure as to any plans for stabilization or restoration at this time, but it would be a shame to lose this landmark.

National Register of Historic Places

Illges House, Circa 1850, Columbus

Front entrance of a historic house in Columbus, featuring grand white columns, black door, and ornate planters.

The Illges House, now an event venue known as the Illges-Woodruff House, is one of the most imposing works of residential architecture in Columbus. It was built by James A. Chapman (c. 1809-1869) circa 1850. Chapman, a native of Warren County, came to Columbus about 1840 and was one of the largest planters in the area, dependent on the labor of over 140 slaves. The Civil War ended his prosperity and with it went the ownership of this house. When Abraham Illges (1830-1915) purchased the home from interim owner William H. Woods in 1877, he added the elaborate doorway, pedimented windows, iron roof trim, paired eave brackets, and an iron fence. The house remained in the family until being sold in 1946. It returned to the family in 1956 when purchased by James Waldo Woodruff for his wife, Ethel, a daughter of Abraham Illges.

The Illges-Woodruff House, an impressive historical mansion in Columbus, featuring tall white columns, green shutters, and an ornate iron fence in front.

Illges, a native of Pennsylvania, worked for the Confederacy as an intelligence agent behind enemy lines, as he did not want to fight against his brothers who remained in Pennsylvania. His Columbus businesses included groceries, mills, manufacturing companies, and banks.

High Uptown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Ernest Woodruff House, Circa 1888, Columbus

Front view of a Victorian-style house with green shutters, a white picket fence, and a business advertisement in the yard.

This modest Greek Revival Georgian cottage was the home of Ernest Woodruff (1863-1944) and Emily Winship Woodruff (1867-1939). Woodruff was a highly successful banker and entrepreneur, best known for his takeover of the Coca-Cola Company from Asa Griggs Candler in 1919. His son, Robert W. Woodruff (1889-1985), who was born in this house, would lead the soft drink behemoth for over 30 years (1923-1955), transforming it into the world’s most recognized brand. He was commonly referred to as “Mr. Coca-Cola” in the press.

High Uptown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Schley-Peabody-Warner House, Circa 1840, Columbus

Greek Revival cottage built circa 1838-1840, showcasing brick exterior, decorative shutters, and a porch surrounded by greenery.

This Greek Revival cottage was built circa 1838-1840 for Philip Thomas Schley (1798-1862) at the site of the present First Presbyterian Church. Schley came to Columbus at the request of his brother, Georgia Governor William Schley, to command the Muscogee Blues, a militia company active in the Indian Wars. Circa 1855-1858, the house was moved and rebuilt at this location.

Front view of the Schley-Peabody-Warner House in Columbus, Ga., with brick exterior, featuring columns, a dark green door, and a small front porch, built around 1838-1840.

The family of Columbus merchant George Henry Peabody (1807-1880) briefly occupied the house during the Civil War. Their son, George Foster Peabody (1852-1938), became a prominent financier and philanthropist. He purchased the Warm Springs property that became famous for its association with Peabody’s friend, future president Franklin Delano Roosevelt and is also the namesake of the Peabody Award.

Front view of Schley-Peabody-Warner House in Columbus, Georgia

Later owners were descendants of James H. Warner (c. 1830-1866), who was the commander and superintendent of the Confederate States Naval Iron Works (aka the Columbus Iron Works).

High Uptown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Alexander-McGehee-Woodall House, Circa 1845, Columbus

Black and white photograph by Frances Benjamin Johnston of a raised Greek Revival cottage featuring a front porch supported by columns, surrounded by manicured shrubs and trees.
Alexander-McGehee-Woodall House, photographed by Frances Benjamin Johnston, Carnegie Survey of the Architecture of the South, 1939. Courtesy Library of Congress. Public domain.

This raised Greek Revival cottage was built for Robert B. Alexander (1811?-1850) between 1843-1845 and sold a few years later to the McGehee family. Alexander was a native of Putnam County and a lawyer who served as a Superior Court judge of the Chattahoochee Circuit. The house was originally located a block south of its present location, on the site of the first Muscogee County court house, but was moved to save it from demolition. Col. Allen Clements McGehee (1826-1903) purchased the property from interim owner Laurence Rooney in 1872. After his death, his daughter, Virginia Ethel McGehee Woodall (1879-1949) resided in the home for the rest of her life. It is used as an office today.

Front view of a raised Greek Revival cottage, the Alexander-McGehee-Woodall House, featuring white columns, brick exterior, and landscaped steps, now used as an office.

High Uptown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

William Scarbrough House, 1819, Savannah

Front view of the historic William Scarbrough House, featuring Greek Revival architecture, columns, and elegant landscaping.

Though it has been extensively modified, the William Scarbrough House is nonetheless a significant example of Greek Revival domestic architecture in Savannah. Built in 1819, it was designed by English architect William Jay, the most accomplished architect of his time in Savannah. Not long after its completion, the Scarbroughs hosted President James Monroe when he visited Savannah.

William Scarbrough (1776-1838) was a wealthy shipping merchant and the first president of the Savannah Steamship Company. He was an investor in the SS Savannah, which, as the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean, in 1819, was internationally famous and a source of great pride to its namesake city. Unfortunately, the Savannah‘s glory was short-lived and an initial lack of interest in this new mode of travel led to financial ruin for its investors, including Scarbrough. After being converted to a sailing vessel, the Savannah sunk off Long Island in 1821. William Scarbrough went into a deep depression around this time and was essentially bankrupt, though a wealthy relative who purchased his home allowed him to remain there. He worked with Upper Darien Steam Rice and Saw Mill in McIntosh County in the late 1820s and early 1830s, returning to Savannah in 1835. He died in New York City while visiting his son-in-law, Godfrey Barnsley, in 1838.

From 1873-1962, the Scarbrough House was owned by the City of Savannah. During this time, the West Broad Street Colored School was housed here.

The Scarbrough House is now home to the Ships of the Sea Maritime Museum.

National Historic Landmark

Matthew’s Chapel Methodist Church, Circa 1864, Talbot County

Matthew’s Chapel was built circa 1864, a few miles southwest of Woodland. The church is of the gable front vernacular Greek Revival style common throughout Talbot County. In A Rockaway in Talbot: Travels in an Old Georgia County, Vol. II, William H. Davidson suggests a probable connection to the family of Charles Henry Matthews (1828-1900), who owned a large plantation in the vicinity. Charles likely gave the land to the congregation, but was a member of Collinsworth Methodist Church.

Byne Plantation House, Circa 1883, Lee County

This exquisite Georgian Cottage, heavily influenced by the Greek Revival, is, architecturally, one of the finest houses in Lee County. According to the History of Lee County, Georgia (1983), it has traditionally been known as the Byne Plantation. It’s still at the center of a large working farm in the historic Oakland community.

Gilbert M. Byne (1825-1910) was the first member of the Byne family to live in Lee County, establishing a large plantation near this site upon his arrival. He married Georgia Virginia McKnight (1854-1924) of Coweta County in 1883 and continued to expand his land holdings throughout his life. He also served as a Lee County commissioner. Gilbert’s grandfather, the Rev. Edmund Byne (1730-1814), migrated from King and Queen County, Virginia, to Burke County, Georgia, in 1781, and founded two churches there.

I first thought the house to be of antebellum construction but after consulting the Lee County history, believe it was built in the early 1880s, soon after Gilbert was married. The history notes that he had a new road cut through the area to accommodate such a place. The Bynes’s only child to live to adulthood, Marilu Byne (1890-1979), married Alvah Wallace Barrett, Sr. (1889-1956), and they continued to maintain the plantation until the waning days of the Great Depression, when they lost the property through a mortgage to the Haley family.

The Georgian Cottage type, two bays deep divided by a central hallway and therefore symmetrical in layout, is inherently Greek Revival in spirit, and this house certainly exemplifies that. It’s a well-maintained beauty.

Guerry-Mitchell House, Circa 1840, Americus

This superb Greek Revival cottage was built by James Peter Guerry (1803-1878) between 1836-1840, and is one of the oldest documented houses in Americus. Guerry was born in South Carolina and with two of his brothers came to Americus in the 1830s. They were among the earliest settlers of the city. Guerry served as a state representative and judge. After his sons returned to Americus after their service in the Civil War, Guerry turned the house over to one of them, John C. Guerry, and retired to his plantation near Plains. John C. Guerry sold the house to Beverly C. Mitchell (1818-1889) in 1878 and the Mitchell family remained there until the 1940s.

National Register of Historic Places