Tag Archives: Churches of Stewart County GA

Richland United Methodist Church, 1913, Stewart County

According to the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church: This church is thought to have been constituted in 1834. Henry Audulf gave the land for the first church, but there were no recorded deeds so, on May 7, 1845, W. A. Scandrett paid Henry Audulf’s son, John, one hundred dollars for the land. The first building was constructed on half an acre north of Broad Street but it was destroyed by a tornado… The second building was also destroyed by a tornado. Services were conducted in the school building until a church was built north of the present business section. The sanctuary was used until 1912. Under the pastorate of Rev. J. H. Allen, a new lot was purchased on the corner of Phillips Street and Hamilton Avenue and the present sanctuary was constructed. 

Richland Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Wesley Chapel Methodist Church, 1890, & Cemetery, Circa 1840, Beatrice

The only information I’ve been able to locate on the history of Wesley Chapel, located in the forgotten community of Beatrice, is that it was established in 1838.

That date comes from the old South Georgia Conference-provided sign at the front of the church. The sign is of a type used by the conference in the 1930s-1940s or thereabouts.

An architectural survey dates the present structure to 1890. The stained glass windows appear to be later additions.

Perhaps as interesting as the church itself is the historic cemetery which lies adjacent to the structure. The earliest burials I noted dated to the early 1840s. The cemetery affords excellent views of the surrounding countryside and is characterized by two large enclosures made of local stone. They are great examples of early vernacular funerary architecture.

The shady respite of the Sims Plot is enclosed by a local stone fence, abundant with Resurrection Fern.

The Sims family were early members of the Wesley Chapel congregation.
Sarah P. Sims [22 October 1827-8 June 1845]
Elizabeth S. Sims [14 November 1846-3 February 1859]
Martha A. Seabrook Sims [2 February 1814-25 October 1854]

The plot of pioneer Thomas Turner House [18 April 1787-14 June 1851] & Elizabeth Young House [20 Jun 1787-5 December 1863] and family is made of local red stone and is a massive enclosure.

A gate once guarded the plot but is long gone.

The fence was well built and has survived largely intact, though this section has collapsed. It is likely descendants have made repairs over the years.

Bethel A. M. E. Church, Stewart County

This historic African-American congregation is located near Kimbrough, just inside the Stewart County line.

Louvale Church Row, Stewart County

As you’ll see in the following posts, Louvale’s Church Row (a National Register Historic Site) is one of the most historic and unique religious landmarks in Georgia. The marker placed by the Chattahoochee Historical Commission and the people of Louvale in 1986 reads: Originally Antioch, the town developing at the terminus of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery (Little SAM) Railroad, was renamed Louvale in 1886. Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, founded 1832 in Pleasant Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap 1842 and here 1851. Present church was erected c. 1885 to replace original log structure. Marvin Methodist Church, founded 1830 in Green Hill moved here 1900 when present building was erected. New Hope Baptist Church constituted 1860 two miles from here moved to present building in 1901.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Antioch Primitive Baptist Church, 1885, Louvale

Antioch Primitive Baptist began in 1832 in Spring Valley, moved to Moccasin Gap in 1842 and finally settled here in 1851. A log cabin was used for services, as well as the Institute next door, until this structure was built in 1885.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Antioch Institute, 1850s, Louvale

At first glance it’s not as imposing as the other three structures on Louvale’s wonderful Church Row, but the Antioch Institute is the most historic of the lot. Antebellum school buildings are rare in South Georgia. It was built in the 1850s and operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until 1895. It is believed to have also been used as the church until the structure to the south was built in 1885. Today it serves as the Louvale Community House and is the home of the Sybil and John B. Richardson School of Sacred Harp Singing.

The historic marker, placed by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Antioch Primitive Baptist Church in 1986 reads: Built in the 1850s, the school was operated by the Antioch Primitive Baptist Church until it was sold to Stewart County in 1895. The building is believed to have been used for church services until the handsome building to the south was erected for that purpose about 1885. The county operated the Louvale High School here until 1928 when the upper grades were transferred to Lumpkin. The elementary school remained until 1942. The school is now used as the Louvale Community House which serves as the home for the Sybil and John B. Richardson School of Sacred Harp Singing.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Marvin Methodist Church, 1900, Louvale

Founded in Green Hill in 1830, Marvin Methodist moved to Louvale in 1900 when the present structure was built.

Like New Hope Baptist next door, Marvin Methodist has pillows on the pews.

The pulpit features a beautiful curved altar.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

New Hope Baptist Church, 1901, Louvale

Constituted in 1860, two miles from this location, New Hope built the present church in 1901. It’s still an active congregation today and members keep it comfortable with cushions and pillows on the old pews.

The church is very well-maintained; I really liked the yellow walls.

Though it’s a small congregation, it’s very aware of its history and importance in the area.

Louvale Church Row Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

 

Omaha Baptist Church, 1914, Stewart County

Though the congregation was established in the late 1800s, the present structure was built in 1914 as a replacement to the original, which was destroyed by a tornado in 1913.

Allen Chapel Community Church, Stewart County