Tag Archives: Georgia Art Deco Architecture

Habersham Theatre, 1937, Clarkesville

This Art Deco movie house was built in 1937; the building may date to 1920 with an earlier use and appearance. It has recently been restored and is now known as the Habersham Community Theater.

Art Deco Storefronts, Lincolnton

This end of Main Street is dominated by simple Art Deco storefronts.

 

Lincolnton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Royal Theatre, 1937, Hogansville

National Register of Historic Places

Dublin Theatre, 1934, Dublin

Dublin’s Martin Theatre has recently been restored and is part of the wonderful historic promenade that includes the Carnegie Library, Christ Episcopal Church, and the Fred Roberts Hotel. A community performance and event space now known as Theatre Dublin, it hosts numerous concerts and events throughout the year.

Dublin Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Montezuma Motor Company, Circa 1920

montezuma motors building photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

This Art Deco landmark was built for the Tom Huston Frozen Foods Company and was converted for use as the Montezuma Motor Company around 1950. It was a Ford Dealership.

Montezuma Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

President Theatre, 1935, Manchester

Originally part of the Martin group, the President Theatre was designed by Atlanta architects McKendree Tucker and Albert Howell. It was named the President, of course, for FDR’s association with the area. After many years of serving Manchester, it closed in the 1980s. It’s being completely restored and is back in business.

Fickling Lodge No. 129, 1920, Butler

butler ga historic fickling masonic lodge photograph copyright brian brown vanishing south georgia usa 2016

Note the ghost sign for the City Barber Shop on the right of the building.

Butler Downtown Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Automobile Dealership, Dawson

The faded signs on this building indicate that it sold furniture but D. A. Bolton writes that it was built as an early automobile dealership. He notes that the service area was on the second floor and cars were lifted by a large lift that’s still intact today. After the auto dealership closed, it was a John Deere dealership for a time. The furniture business here was short lived and apparently the last tenant.

Dawson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Angus Motel Sign, Washington

Washington GA Wilkes County Angus Motel Sign Red Art Deco Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

The Art Deco elements of this sign suggest it probably dates to the 1940s. The motel is still standing but appears to be a residential property.

Elbert Theatre, 1940, Elberton

Elbert Theatre Art Deco Landmark Elberton GA Photograph Copyright Brian Brown Vanishing North Georgia USA 2015

Opened on 23 February 1940 by Lucas & Jenkins, the Elbert Theatre was damaged by fire in 1950 but reopened soon thereafter. It stopped showing movies in 1967 and for a time served as a youth center. Purchased by the city in 1989, it was eventually restored for use as a theatre in 2001. Today, it hosts live shows and first-run movies.

Elberton Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places