Tag Archives: Georgia Black History

Westwood Cemetery, Fitzgerald

A gravel pathway leads into Westwood Cemetery, surrounded by tall grass and trees, with dark stone markers lining the edges under a clear blue sky.

Westwood Cemetery is perhaps the oldest and largest Black cemetery in Fitzgerald.

An overgrown cemetery with weathered gravestones surrounded by tall grass and trees under a clear blue sky.

Though the earliest burial I could locate was in 1918, the cemetery may have been established earlier, in the heyday of the Westwood community and the AB&A Railroad shops, circa 1900-1910.

A fenced cemetery plot with several white headstones, surrounded by tall grass and trees, and a flower arrangement in the foreground.

The usual variety of memorials is present, ranging from handmade vernacular headstones to stenciled and commercial examples. As always, I’m sharing only a representative sampling of what I found and was able to photograph.

A weathered gravestone marking the resting place of Edgar Allen, born April 25, 1902, and died October 14, 1918, surrounded by overgrown grass and weeds.
Edger Allen (25 April 1902-14 October 1918)

Interestingly, some of the earliest memorials in the cemetery are commercially made marble headstones.

A weathered gravestone marking the resting place of Hattie Allen, born November 1883 and died December 4, 1925, surrounded by tall grass and trees.
Hattie Allen (November 1888-14 December 1925)

Hattie Allen’s memorial is one of the finest in Westwood Cemetery. It notes that she was born in Houston County, Georgia, and that she was a member of Bethel AME Church, one of Fitzgerald’s oldest Black congregations.

A weathered gravestone with inscriptions, located in a cemetery, surrounded by grass and flowers.
Braxton or Brayton King (18 Dec 19?-9 February 1919)

The gravestone of Mr. King illustrates the difficulty in the identification of some burials, especially those using hand writing. Some of the inscription has eroded over time. As a result, the photographic documentation of such memorials is an important step in recording their lives.

Weathered grave marker of Emma Martin in a grassy field, inscribed with the name Emma Martin, born in 1885 and died in 1958.
Emma Martin (5 or 15 March 1885-4 or 14 January 1958)

The vernacular memorials are always my favorites. Ms. Jones’s was difficult to read.

A weathered gravestone partially covered in peeling white paint, surrounded by tall grass and vegetation.
Fannie Blair (1886-1958)

This simple vernacular memorial was painted white, as were a good number in Westwood Cemetery at one time.

Gravestone of Walter Anderson, engraved with his name and the years 1876 to 1947, located in a cemetery with overgrown grass.
Walter Anderson (1876-1947)

The marker for Mr. Anderson was cracked, a common issue with handmade memorials.

A gravestone marked 'Walter T. Anderson 1906-1937' surrounded by grass and plants.
Walter T. Anderson (1905-1937)

I presume this was the son of Walter Anderson. If so, his father outlived him by a decade. Both of their memorials were likely made by the same person.

Handmade grave marker of the Mathis Family, made in 1952.
Mathis Family boundary post

This is one of four handmade posts marking the plot of the Mathis Family. This one bears the name K. C. Mathis, who died in 1952.

A view of a cemetery featuring several gravestones with flowers, surrounded by grass and trees, in a rural setting.
Mathis Family

A broader view of the Mathis Family plot, with the handmade boundary posts visible at the corners.

Gravestone of Mrs. Lula Kendrick, surrounded by tall grass.
Mrs. Lula Kendrick (June 1860?-196?)

This headstone is handmade, but of a shape commonly found in commercial memorials of the Victorian era.

Weathered gravestone of Rev. Nebraska Owens.
Rev. Nebraska Owens (8 January 1906-17 July 1984)

I love unusual names and am always happy to find them when rambling around old cemeteries. Rev. Owens may have been associated with one of the local congregations in Westwood, but I have been unable to located anything about him.

A gravestone for Tynie M. McDuffie, marked 'Our Loved One',surrounded by greenery.
Tynie McDuffie (12 March 1888-4 December 1962)

The lamb is a common symbol in cemeteries.

Gravestone of J. C. Medler, U.S. Army veteran of World War II, surrounded by overgrown vegetation.
J. C. Medler (?=1995)

The government supplies headstones to all veterans who choose to be remembered for their service. This memorial indicates that Mr. Medler served in the army in World War II.

A weathered grave marker for John Medler, a US Army veteran of World War II, with dates of birth and death (Dec 8, 1923 - Jun 2, 1993) and a cross symbol, surrounded by tall grass.
John Medler (8 Dec 1923-2 June 1993)

John Medler was likely the brother of J. C. Medler (previous photograph). Both served the United States in the army in World War II.

Gravestone of William D. Brown, with birth and death dates; surrounded by overgrown grass and artificial flowers.
William D. Brown (26 June 1951-30 May 2013)

This memorial is of a vernacular style common in the last century.

A weathered tombstone in the shape of a cross, partially covered by greenery, featuring the name 'Samuel Chester' along with birth and death dates, located in Westwood Cemetery.
Samuel Chester (28 October 1896-29 March 1964)

This small cross is one of the finer commercial memorials in Westwood Cemetery.

Gravestone of William Stephens, with purple flowers placed nearby.
Mr. William Stephens (18 November 1903-17 June 1975)

Though not fully visible in this photograph, the name at the bottom of this memorial is ‘Cummings’. Cummings was one of the two leading Black funeral homes in Fitzgerald for the latter half of the 20th century.

Westwood Cemetery in Fitzgerald, Georgia.
Leonard Stewart (10 September 1877-14 April 1961? ) and Lolia Stewart (15 December 1887-20 August 1968)

The graves of Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are decorated with flower pots.

A close-up view of a stone engraved with the words 'REST IN PEACE,' surrounded by grass and dirt.
Unknown decedent

This marker has no identification.

Gravestones in a cemetery featuring a prominent headstone for Linda B. Lyons, born May 9, 1913, and died June 29, 2005, surrounded by smaller markers for Hattie Malcom and others, with decorative flowers and small Christmas trees.
Lyons family plot

The Lyons family plot is interesting for its placement of small Christmas trees near each grave.

Cemetery with grass and scattered stone pillars under a clear blue sky.

The cemetery is not neglected but rather in a more natural state, with native grasses and wildflowers abundant throughout.



Fairview Missionary Baptist Church & Cemetery, Ben Hill County

Fairview Missionary Baptist, a  historic Black rural church in Ben Hill County, Georgia.

Fairview Missionary Baptist is a historic Black congregation in eastern Ben Hill County. It was established in 1912 by Rev. W. C. Tucker. The present structure was built between 1994-1999.

A tranquil cemetery scene surrounded by tall trees, featuring several headstones scattered on the ground covered with pine needles.

A small cemetery is located across the road from the church and contains stenciled concrete headstones alongside a few commercial examples. The following are meant to be representative and in no way a complete documentation. I believe some have been lost to vegetation in the surrounding woods.

Find-a-Grave is in error in noting that this is also known as Old Field Cemetery. The two are off the same road but several miles apart, and Old Field is a White cemetery.

A weathered gravestone in a clearing surrounded by trees, with fallen pine needles scattered on the ground.
A. J. Brown (1850-October 1924)

Among legible headstones, A. J. and Laura Brown’s indicate they were among the oldest members. They were likely born enslaved and were in their early 60s when Fairview was established.

A weathered gravestone in a wooded cemetery, inscribed with the name Laura, wife of A. J. Brown, who died July 24, 1914, aged 50 years.
Laura Brown (Circa 1864-25 July 1914)

No specific birthdate for Laura is given, though the memorial notes that she was 50 when she died.

An old, weathered tombstone leaning against the ground in a forested area, surrounded by pine needles and foliage.
John Jackson (August ? 1897-4 October 1943)

Mr. Jackson was a veteran, but details were not readable on his memorial. The date of his death may indicate that he was a casualty of World War II.

Gravestone of Willie L. Shepherd, a WWII veteran, displaying his rank, service information, and dates of birth and death, surrounded by pine needles and artificial flowers.
Willie L. Shepherd (2 August 1916-19 November 1985)

Mr. Shepherd was a Staff Sergeant in World War II. No other service details are given on the memorial.

A memorial grave marker for Robert Graham Jr. with the nickname 'Sonny', featuring two pairs of shoes, small figurines, and a flower, set in a natural outdoor environment. It has been painted red.
Robert “Sonny” Graham, Jr. (1939-?)

The shoes and figurines are a tribute.

A gravestone with the name 'Autry Moton' engraved on it, displaying birth date January 11, 1943, and death date March 29, 2002. The gravestone is adorned with a pot of colorful artificial flowers.
Autry Moton (11 January 1943-29 March 2002)

This is one of the more modern commercial stones in the cemetery.

Fairview Missionary Baptist Church in Ben Hill County, Georgia, featuring a cross on a pine tree nearby.

Albritten Funeral Home Hearse, Dawson

A close-up view of a hearse window with the word 'ALBRITTEN' partially obscured by grime and debris.

This classic Miller Meteor Hearse served Albritten’s Funeral Service in Dawson for many years. Robert L. Albritten opened Albritten’s Funeral Service, with Bobby E. Glover, at 527 Lemon Street in 1966, and they are still in business.

Close-up of a vintage Miller Meteor emblem on a weathered surface with peeling paint.

The Miller-Meteor line of Cadillac hearses was made famous in the movie Ghostbusters, and as a result is one of the most recognized funeral cars ever produced. In that movie, the Ecto-1 was a 1959 custom; this hearse was likely made in the early 1970s.

A vintage Miller Meteor hearse, covered in dirt and surrounded by overgrown vegetation, is parked next to an old building.

Greater Saint Mark AME Church, 1961, Columbus

Exterior view of Greater Saint Mark A.M.E. Church, showcasing the brick building with a cross and signage, surrounded by greenery and a well-maintained lawn.

Greater Saint Mark was organized in as Saint Mark AME Church in 1886 and the present sanctuary was built in 1961, during the pastorate of Rev. W. L. Brown. An old cornerstone saved by the congregation indicates an earlier church was built in 1889, during the pastorate of Rev. M. R. Wilson.

Prince Hall Masonic Temple, 1953, Columbus

Prince Hall Free and Accepted Masons sign in Columbus, Georgia.

The Prince Hall Masons were first organized in Columbus as the Bradwell Lodge No. 4, in 1871. Bradwell later became Lewis Hayden Lodge No. 6, which still meets today. Since 1871, seven lodges have been established in Columbus, and some, including Mt. Pisgah Lodge No. 53, as well as several Eastern Star chapters, meet in the Prince Hall Masonic Temple, which was built in 1953, and is a center of Black civic and social life in Columbus.

Prince Hall Masonic Temple in Columbus, Georgia, where Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., addressed a crowd of over 1,000, on 1 July 1958.

Of historical importance, Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., spoke to a gathering of over 1000 people here on 1 July 1958, imploring the audience to meet “physical force with soul force“, in response to increasing racial violence. He was in Columbus following the murder by white store owner Luico Flowers of Dr. Thomas Brewer (1894-1956). Dr. Flowers, a local physician and Civil Rights leader, was an advocate of King v. Chapman, the landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision that ended the white primary system in Georgia. This decision led to heightened KKK activity in the area, including a threat to bomb the Prince Hall Masonic Temple during Dr. King’s visit. Armed Prince Hall Masons kept vigil on the roof. Unable to harm Dr. King, the KKK bombed the home of Essie Mae Ellison, who had recently moved into a white neighborhood.

Friendship Baptist Church, Circa 1897 + 1922, Columbus

Exterior view of Friendship Baptist Church showing its red brick structure, arched windows, and decorative elements under a partly cloudy sky.

Friendship Baptist Church was established circa 1892 when “...a band of Christian believers, only seventeen in number organized in an old house on the corner of Fourth Avenue and Sixth Street...The ministers who took part in this organization were Rev. Henry Wright, Rev. Allen Miles, Rev. Henry Threatt, and Rev. Alberdeen McCall. The following brethren were the first deacons: Alexander Kendrix, Sam Colbert, and Samuel Cooper. Some of the first members were Sisters Anna Kendrix, Emeline Foster, and others whose names are not recorded...” [From the church website.] The historic marker in front of the church notes that Rev. J. S. Kelsey was the first minister, from 1897-1901, and that the sanctuary was begun during his pastorate.

Portrait of Riley King Paschal, an influential minister associated with Friendship Baptist Church.
Rev. Riley King Paschal, from History of the American Negro and his institutions, Georgia edition, edited by A.B. Caldwell, 1920. Public domain.

A remodeling and expansion which gave the church its present appearance was begun in 1919 and completed in 1922, during the 43-year pastorate of Rev. Riley King Paschal (1868-1944). His initials, RKP, are embedded in brick in the front gable. During Rev. Paschal’s tenure, Gertrude Pridgett “Ma” Rainey, who had retired from touring and returned home to Columbus, was an active member of Friendship Baptist Church.

Front view of Friendship Baptist Church showcasing its red brick exterior, architectural details, and entrance steps.

Saint James AME Church, 1876, Columbus

Decorative brown double doors made by enslaved men with ornate details, framed by brick walls and stairs.
The oldest features of Saint James are the ornate hand-carved front doors, which came from the Asbury M. E. Church. They were made by enslaved men at the Dudley Sash and Door Company.

Saint James is one of the most beautiful historic churches in Columbus. The following history (abridged), is from the church website: Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church of Columbus, Georgia was organized in November 1863. [It is the second oldest AME church in Georgia.]  In 1864, the Reverend William Gaines, an ordained Deacon and brother of Bishop J. Gaines of Charleston, SC, became the first pastor of Saint James. The property on which Saint James AME Church stands was given to the African Methodist Episcopal Church by an act of the Georgia Legislature in 1873. The present edifice, a cathedral in structure and design, was erected during the pastorate of the Reverend Wesley J. Gaines at a cost of $20,000.00. It was completed in 1876. The bell tower was built while the Reverend Larry Thomas was pastor (1886-1887). The most interesting features of the building are the center spire and twin turrets on each side of the tower built in 1886. The twin turrets are stone trimmed and have brick details on the exterior. The interior spiral stairs lead from the narthex to the balcony. A semicircular apse containing an altar and choir loft was added at a later date.

Exterior view of Saint James African Methodist Episcopal Church in Columbus, Georgia, featuring a tall steeple, twin turrets, and a brick facade under a blue sky.

National Register of Historic Places

Liberty Theatre, 1925, Columbus

The exterior of the Liberty Theatre featuring a brick facade, windows with decorative elements, and a green construction fence in front.

Construction began on the Liberty Theatre in 1924 and was completed in 1925. When it was built 100 years ago, it was the first Black theatre in Columbus, and significantly, the only such venue within the Martin Theatres chain. Though not substantiated, it is believed that local architect T. Firth Lockwood, Jr., was responsible for the design.

Beginning as a silent movie house and transitioning to talkies, the Liberty was also a vibrant live entertainment space. Marian Anderson, Ella Fitzgerald, Ethel Waters, Lena Horne, Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, and the big bands of Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway and Fletcher Henderson all performed here.

The Liberty closed in 1974, as desegregated theatres in other areas of Columbus took business away from the location. After years of abandonment, restoration and removal of a 1955 makeover, brought the Liberty back to life. It reopened as a live performance space and cultural arts center in 1996. As the fencing would indicate, it is now going through another renovation and is presently closed.

National Register of Historic District

Edmonds-Farley Realty Company, 1947, Columbus

Mid-century storefront and home to the first black real estate company in Columbus, GA, Farley Real Estate.

This simple commercial storefront, located just down 5th Avenue from Tole’s Undertaking in the Liberty District, was the office of Farley Real Estate, the first Black-owned real estate company in Columbus. Edwin Edward Farley (c. 1902 – 1956) was the visionary owner of the business. Farley and his wife Ella were realtors and developers and were very involved in their community. They built the first Black subdivision in Columbus, known as Carver Heights, beginning in 1946. E. E. was a Morehouse College graduate and led the Columbus chapter of the NAACP and served as executive secretary of the Army and Navy YMCA at Fort Benning. His association with area Civil Rights leaders, including Dr. Thomas H. Brewer, Primus King, and A. J. McClung, was instrumental in bringing the annual Tuskegee-Morehouse football game to Columbus.

When Farley died in 1956, Ella continued the real estate business, selling it to Booker Edmonds in 1971. The name was changed to Edmonds-Farley and was still in business as of 2021. Today, the building is home to Chirp Glass Studio.

William Henry Spencer House, 1912, Columbus

Exterior view of a historic yellow house with green shutters, featuring a large porch with white columns, surrounded by well-manicured hedges and a pathway. Home of William Henry Spencer, pioneering Black educator of Columbus, GA.

This home was built for William Henry Spencer (1857-1925) by the Dudley Lumber Company in 1912. At a time when most African-Americans didn’t own their own homes, this was on par with any of the new construction in Columbus at the time.

According to Muscogee County Schools, William Henry Spencer “was a student in the Columbus public school system, the old Asbury Chapel, during the age of segregation. Dr. Spencer was an exemplary student who excelled in school and attained high honors. After obtaining his teaching certificate, he embarked on a fifty-year career in education.”

As an educator, Dr. William Henry Spencer was the principal of the former Fifth Avenue School and the supervisor of the Negro Educational Department. He was dedicated to improving the curriculum of segregated schools and worked to establish courses in the fine arts and vocational arena.”

Since African-American students in Columbus, Georgia had to travel as far as Atlanta to move beyond the ninth grade, Dr. Spencer began working towards opening an accredited high school for African-Americans in Columbus. Dr. Spencer’s determination result in the fruition of the aforementioned school. Sadly, he passed away on May 30, 1925, five years before the school was built. The school was originally built on Tenth Avenue, and it was named William Henry Spencer High School in his honor.”

Visit Historic Columbus for photos and a great essay about the life and influence of Spencer.

National Register of Historic Places