
Variously known locally as the Muse-Dews-Gay-Martin-Blaskow House, this structure, has been enlarged and improved during its long history. It was originally built by Baptist minister Thomas “Uncle Tommy” Muse for use as the dormitory of the Bethel Baptist Female College of Southwest Georgia. Rev. Muse was instrumental in establishing over 50 Baptist congregations in southwest Georgia. The school was also known as the Cuthbert Female College. It operated until 1863 and was briefly reopened a few times into the 1870s. By the 1880s the property was given to the state and from then on was used for private residences.

The three vintage photographs were shared by Kathy Wagoner.
They were made during the 1960s and 1970s, while her uncle, George Blaskow, lived here.
It’s nice to see how it looked as a residence.

The red clay frames it nicely.

National Register of Historic Places




