Tag Archives: Slave Construction in Georgia

Harper Fowlkes House, 1844, Savannah

The Harper Fowlkes House museum in Savannah, Georgia.

The Harper Fowlkes House was built by prominent architect Charles B. Cluskey as a Greek Revival townhouse for Savannah shipping magnate Stephen Gardner on Orleans Square in 1844. Financial difficulties soon compelled Gardner to sell the house to his brother, who then sold it to Aaron Champion (1792-1880). Champion’s daughter, Maria Sophia McAlpin (1832-1890), used the house for in-town entertaining while living at the Hermitage Plantation. Her husband James McAlpin was a trustee of that property. By 1895, Maria’s son, Henry McAlpin (1860-1931) and his second wife, Isabel, were living in the house, and Isabel was responsible for the addition of a third floor and mansard roof, to accommodate servants. Alida Harper Fowlkes (1908-1985) purchased the home, which today bears her name, for $9000 in 1939. Mrs. Fowlkes, who owned the Georgian Tea Room in the Olde Pink House in the 1930s and 1940s, later became an antiques dealer and preservationist, restoring ten houses in Savannah. In her will, she left the house to the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of Georgia and stipulated it never be sold. It is operated as a house museum today by the Coastal Heritage Society.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Telfair Academy, 1818, Savannah

Statues of historical figures positioned outside a yellow building, featuring columns and a balcony, with landscaped greenery in the foreground.

The Telfair family’s Regency townhouse, which after a bequest to the city became the first art museum in the American South, was designed by architect William Jay, and stands as one of his few surviving designs.

A contemporary portrait of Alexander Telfair of Savannah, Georgia.
Alexander Telfair, portrait, public domain image via Find a Grave

Originally designed for Alexander Telfair (1789-1832), a bachelor son of early Georgia governor Edward Telfair (1735-1807), the house eventually passed to his sister Mary Telfair (1791-1875), who was known for her outstanding art collection.

Contemporary photograph of Mary Telfair of Savannah, Georgia.
Mary Telfair, contemporary photograph, public domain image via Find a Grave

Mary, who never married and was the last of the Telfairs, left the home to the Georgia Historical Society to be operated as an art museum. It was remodeled for use as a museum in 1886 by architect Detllef Lienau. It is one of three properties that now make up the Telfair Museums. Her bequests also included the Mary Telfair Women’s Hospital, now a part of St. Joseph’s Candler Hospital.

Front view of the Telfair Academy of Arts & Sciences building, featuring classical architecture, four statues on pedestals, and a wrought-iron fence.

In front of the building are sculptures of Phidias, Rembrandt, Rubens, Raphael, and Michelangelo. Perhaps the most famous work inside the museum is Sylvia Shaw Judson’s Bird Girl sculpture, known for its appearance on the cover of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.


National Historic Landmark

Morel-Butler House, 1818 + 1869, Savannah

Morel-Butler house on Orleans Square in Savannah, Georgia, surrounded by moss-draped oaks under a soft blue sky.

This imposing house, located on Orleans Square, was built with the labor of enslaved men for John Henry Morel (c. 1780-1834) circa 1818. Morel was a member of one of early Savannah’s most prominent families. His grandfather, John Morel, was born to Swiss immigrant Peter Morel, in the year Savannah was established. By the 1760s John Morel owned Ossabaw Island, where he established a large plantation, cultivating indigo and harvesting vast amounts of timber, through the forced labor of enslaved men and women. He eventually acquired and resided at Beaulieu Plantation, on the Vernon River. He served on Savannah’s Council of Safety, which was central to the patriot cause during the American Revolution and was active in local government. His myriad agricultural pursuits made him one of the largest slaveholders in 18th-century Savannah, owning 155 human beings at the time of his death in 1777.

John Henry Morel married Catherine Millen Waldberg, the widow of Jacob Waldberg, in 1803, and Waldberg’s plantation Cottonham, on the Great Ogeechee Neck in Bryan County, was transferred to Morel upon their marriage. Catherine presumably died circa 1811 and Morel married Sarah Martha DeVeaux Alger. In the first two decades of the 19th century, legal proceedings indicate that Morel didn’t have his family’s economic sensibilities. He was sued multiple times for unpaid taxes and other charges, though his vast inheritances appeared to protect him from the worst of outcomes.

In 1816, he purchased the lot on which the Morel-Gilbert House was built. That same year (1818), he was appointed U. S. Marshal for Savannah. In that position, he presided over the case of the slave ship Antelope. Considering that his family’s prosperity was wholly dependent upon the institution of slavery, he was ill-suited for the case, but that was to be its trajectory. The Antelope was brought to Savannah in June 1820 after being seized by the revenue cutter Dallas off the coast of Florida for being Spanish-flagged. The 280 Africans on board were placed in Morel’s custody for seven years as the case languished in the courts. Ultimately, the United States Supreme Court heard the case but with four slave-holding members on the bench at the time, was ambiguous in its ruling. They deferred to the 1808 act prohibiting the importation of slaves, but only to a point. 93 of the captives, who had already been accounted for, were condemned to slavery, while 120 were freed and sent to Liberia, establishing the colony of New Georgia. The disposition and handling of the case brought criticism from Francis Scott Key, John Quincy Adams, and Savannah’s own Richard Habersham and was an early national debacle regarding this vile institution.

After Morel’s death, the house was sold at public auction. I haven’t been able to document other owners until 1869, when it was purchased by Gilbert Butler (1797-1875). Butler, a prominent Savannah builder and architect, also served as a city alderman and fireman, and in 1853 crafted the iron fence that still surrounds Johnson Square. The house was extensively renovated during Butler’s ownership and remains an icon of Orleans Square.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Jones-Ross House, Circa 1826, Clinton

This exceptional home was built for Mrs. Beersheba Jones (1790-1850) circa 1826. It is one of the finest of the many architectural gems in Old Clinton. It has long been attributed to Daniel Pratt, though this attribution is now in question. Nonetheless, it is an important landmark of the transition between Federal and Greek Revival architecture.

In her History of Jones County, Georgia, For One Hundred Years, Specifically 1807-1907 (J. W. Burke, Macon, 1957), Caroline White Williams dates the house to 1820, but most modern sources date it to 1826. I’m unsure as to the reason for the discrepancy. Mrs. Jones only lived here a few years before selling the property to John and Mary Pitts. The James Ross family have had the longest association with the house and his descendants have taken excellent care of this important resource.

Old Clinton Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Cabaniss-Hanberry House, Circa 1805, Jones County

The Cabaniss-Hanberry House, located in the vicinity of Bradley, is one of the most iconic works of domestic architecture in Georgia. The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, who stabilized and restored the exterior in 1999, describes it as “…a vernacular example of Jeffersonian Classicism…and possibly the only remaining house of its form in Georgia...”

The builder of the house, George Cabaniss, Sr., (1744-1815), was the Virginia-born son of Mathieu Etienne Cabanis (1710-1789). His grandfather, Henri Hubert Cabanis (1655-1720), was a French Huguenot who fled to Virginia in the late 1600s.

After service in the Revolutionary War, George married Palatea Harrison (1758-1822), in 1781. In the 1790s, he was one of several Cabaniss siblings who “…began a succession of migrations with parts of their families, first to North Carolina and then to Georgia. Some of the family eventually moved on to Alabama.” He first came to Greene County before eventually settling in Jones County.

He built this house circa 1805, undoubtedly with the labor of enslaved men, and sold it to his son Harrison Cabaniss (1782-1819) in 1811, after building another home near present-day Round Oak. After Harrison’s death, his widow, Sarah “Sally” Kirk Cabaniss (1798-1848) remained on the property until her death. She left 1215 acres and 29 slaves to her grandchildren. The house was occupied by descendants of its builder until the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Some notable descendants of George Cabaniss, Sr., include Dr. Palacia “Pallie” Wilson Stewart (1805-1866), one of the first licensed women physicians in Georgia, and Henry Harrison Cabaniss (1848-1934), an early owner of the Atlanta Journal and vice-president of the Cotton States and International Exposition.

National Register of Historic Places

Martin and Lucretia Stamper House, 1833, Talbot County

The Martin and Lucretia Stamper House, also known as Merrywood, is one of the finest surviving houses in Talbot County and a representative example of the Early Classical Revival in Georgia. It is an I-House at its core. The Classical look is evident in the full height portico, Ionic pilasters, and most notably, the elliptical fanlights over the four front doors. According to the National Register of Historic Places, “Before moving to Talbot County in 1833, Martin Woodson Stamper (1796-1874) was a prominent citizen of Upson County. Martin Stamper was born in 1796 in Virginia and reportedly served in the War of 1812. In the 1820s, he was living in Upson County, was married to Lucretia Jane Walker (1789-1856) from a prominent Upson County family, and was politically active. In 1825, he was the first sheriff of Upson County and served as a representative in the state legislature in 1832. In 1833, the Stampers moved to Talbot County and were [among] the early settlers of the county. In the 1840 U.S. Census, Martin Stamper owned 40 slaves and over 708 acres of land where this house was built. In July 1850, Martin Stamper sold the house and 690 acres of land to John Harris, a Baptist preacher, and the family moved to Early County.” It is a near certainty that the house was constructed by men enslaved by Stamper, and as with so many of these early Georgia houses, that is usually left out of the narrative.

The house is largely obscured today, but was restored in the early 2000s. According to the National Register, the interior retains its historic integrity and most of its original finishes. It’s a magnificent house, even with such a limited view.

National Register of Historic Places

Jarrett-Hayes House, 1848, Stephens County

According to the National Register of Historic Places, the Jarrett-Hayes House “was built by Robert Jarrett using hand-made bricks and slave labor...it also has an original ell on the rear… The house reflects the construction methods of the period with the on-premise, hand-made bricks, pegged interior woodwork, and turned balusters...The property was at one time a thriving 800 acre plantation producing corn, wheat, cotton, peas, and beans. In 1950, it was purchased by Elizabeth Turnbull Hayes, great granddaughter of Robert Jarrett. The land was used for farming until the creation of Lake Hartwell in 1958-1960.

It is well maintained and remains an important symbol of the area’s early history.

National Register of Historic Places

Kitty Andrew Shell: The Enslaved Woman at the Center of the Methodist Schism of 1844

Cottage of Kitty Andrew, Circa 1844, Old Church, Oxford

This saddlebag cottage was originally located a few lots away behind the home of James Osgood Andrew, a Methodist bishop in Oxford, and has been moved four times prior to finally landing at Old Church. It was the dwelling of an enslaved woman named Kitty, who was inherited by the bishop around the time he entered the episcopacy, and survives as a tangible symbol of the Missional Split (Schism) of 1844 that occurred between Northern and Southern Methodists, since the ownership of Kitty was at the center of the controversy. According to her cenotaph at Salem Campground, Kitty was a slave girl bequeathed to Bishop James O. Andrew by a Mrs. Powers of Augusta, Georgia, in her will when Kitty was 12 years of age, with the stipulation that when she was 19 years of age, she was to be given her freedom and sent to Liberia.

Northern clergyman insisted that bishops could not own slaves and demanded Andrew’s resignation. Augustus Baldwin Longstreet, Emory’s president at the time and an enslaver himself, supported Bishop Andrew. The story put forth is that Longstreet and Professor George W. Lane interviewed Kitty and gave her the option of emancipation, which she refused, unwilling to be sent to Liberia. The bishop had this cottage built for her and pledged that she would thereafter live “as free as I am”. Andrew was known for ministering to slaves but even this and his commitment to allowing Kitty to live free was met with suspicion by Northern clergy.

Upon the death of his first wife, Bishop Andrew inherited a young enslaved boy. He then married a widow who owned over a dozen slaves. With all this in mind, and unwilling to compromise, the southern churches split from their northern peers in 1845 and formed the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.

Kitty later married a man named Nathan Shell and left the cottage but little else is known about her later life. Findagrave records her date of birth as 1822, though her date of death or even whereabouts remain unknown or unconfirmed.

Oxford Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Mell-Dickson House, Circa 1838, Oxford

William H. Mell is believed to be the first owner of this home, more commonly known today as the Capers Dickson House, for the next owner, William Glen Capers “Judge” Dickson (1845-1914). Dickson was a private in Company 1, Cobb’s Legion, Infantry Batallion. Dickson served as a city judge in the courts of Newton County and was a law professor at Emory College.

The facade of the house is very reminiscent of the Milledgeville Federal style, though the overall floor plan is L-shaped.

Oxford Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Orna Villa, Circa 1820, Oxford

Christened “Orna Villa” in 1820 by Dr. Alexander Means, Jr. (1801-1883), this is the oldest house in Oxford, and if the log house from which it was expanded is considered, likely has origins in the 1790s.

In her highly-readable history of the house, current owner Lisa Dorward has done more research than anyone else, it seems. She writes: A Virginian by the name of Richard Keenon Dearing had come to Georgia in 1793 and purchased 2,000 acres of land on which he built a four-room plantation house of hand-hewn logs.  Dr. Means bought the house from Dearing around 1820 and set about expanding and remodeling it into the grand Greek Revival house it is today.  Among Dr. Means’s many interests was ornithology, so he named his home that stood among the trees, Orna Villa, meaning “Bird House.”

Alexander Means, Jr., was a renaissance man who, as the Oxford Historical Society notes, served as a physician, school teacher, scientist, college professor, poet, college president, statesman, and as the first state chemist in the United States. Born to an Irish immigrant father and Scots-Irish mother in Statesville, North Carolina, Means settled circa 1820 in what would eventually become the town of Oxford. He married Sarah A. E. Winston in 1827 and they had 11 children. He helped establish the Newton County Female Seminary, served as president of the Georgia Conference Manual Labor School, and taught natural sciences at the newly established Emory College, among other academic endeavors. He entertained President Millard Fillmore at Orna Villa, and delivered the funeral oration for President Zachary Taylor. He was awarded an honorary Doctor of Medicine degree from the Medical College of Georgia, where he taught during winter sessions. He retired from Emory in 1855, after briefly serving as president. Though he traveled and lectured in many locations, he remained at Orna Villa throughout his life.

As accomplished as he was and as varied his interests, Means, was also man of his time Research by Dr. Gary Hauk and Dr. Sally Wolff King suggests that between 20-28 men, women, and children were enslaved at Orna Villa. Ironically perhaps, Dr. Means was initially opposed to secession, but soon became a vocal supporter of the Confederacy.

Orna Villa stands today as one of the most tangible symbols of Oxford and Newton County’s early history. There are quite a few “ghost stories” related to the house, as well, especially those concerning Toby Means, but you’ll have to read Lisa Doward’s articles to learn more about them.


National Register of Historic Places