The historic Carnegie Library served as Albany’s main library from 1906-1966. The fine Neoclassical structure, located adjacent to the Municipal Auditorium, has been home to the Albany Area Arts Council since 1992.
In March 1909, the Lavonia Woman’s Club sought funding from Andrew Carnegie and the approval of a town council for the construction of a library. Carnegie pledged $5000 for the construction and the council promised $500 per year for the purchase of books and upkeep for ten years. petitioned Mr. Andrew Carnegie and the town council for the erection of a building to house what would eventually become known as a library. Mr. Carnegie granted $5,000 for erection of a building with the council providing $500 a year for ten years for books and upkeep. The facility, now part of the Athens Regional Library, still serves the city.
At the turn of the 20th century, Dr. J. B. Duggan, Hal M. Stanley, and J. C. Wardlow worked to secure assistance from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for the construction of a library in Dublin. With Carnegie’s gift of $10,000, the dream became a reality in 1904. Thomas H. Morgan, known as the “dean” of Atlanta architects, along with partner John Robert Dillon, was responsible for the design. The library served the community until a larger facility was constructed in 1964. The Laurens County Historical Society lead an effort to restore the library in the mid-1970s, one of the first such efforts in Dublin.
Fitzgerald’s Carnegie Library served the community from 1915 to 1983, when it was replaced by a modern facility a few blocks away. The city recently restored this structure, which is now used as an arts center. C. E. Choate was the architect.
Fitzgerald Commercial Historic District, National Register of Historic Places