Tag Archives: Homes of Civil War Veterans

West End, 1870, & The Hardman Farm, Sautee-Nacoochee

Original section of the Unicoi Turnpike, located near the main house

West End, one of the finest Italianate houses in Georgia, was built by Colonel James Hall Nichols (1834-1897) upon his arrival in the Nacoochee Valley from Milledgeville in 1870.

Game Lounge

Nichols, who married Kate Latimer of Summerville, South Carolina, in 1856, served in the Confederate Army and was elected captain of the Governor’s Horse Guard in 1862, eventually attaining the rank of colonel.

Greenhouse

When he returned to Middle Georgia after the war, weak and in declining health, he learned that his wife Kate S. Latimer Nichols had been raped by two Union soldiers. This would affect her mental state for the rest of her life.

Spring House

While convalescing at the White Sulphur Springs Resort near Gainesville, Colonel Nichols became enamored of the Nacoochee Valley and began purchasing large tracts of land in the area. He named the property and house West End, for its location in the valley.

Gas House

Nichols was primarily a gentleman farmer by this time and owned several businesses, including Nora Mill. The mentally incapacitated Kate lived out her days in an upstairs room, unwilling to face the outside world.

Servants’ quarters and smokehouse

Anna Ruby, the only child of the Nichols to live to adulthood and namesake of the nearby Anna Ruby Falls, told friends her mother was dead, as to deny her existence and her mental illness. Colonel Nichols had her committed to the State Lunatic Asylum in the early 1890s and she remained there until her death.

Carriage House

The property was sold to Atlanta entrepreneur Calvin Welborn Hunnicutt (1827-1915) in 1893. Hunnicutt, also a Confederate veteran [organized the Fulton Dragoons] and Fulton County commissioner, was a very successful businessman in postwar Atlanta, owning a plumbing business and stove works.

Dairy Barn, built 1910 as the centerpiece of Dr. Hardman’s Nacoochee Dairy

The family never lived in West End but kept it as a retreat and vacation home. The Atlanta Constitution called him Atlanta’s oldest pioneer citizen upon his death. He had been in the city since 1847, when it was still a small village known as Marthasville.

Corn Crib No. 1, built in the 1870s

The final owner of the West End property was Dr. Lamartine Griffin Hardman, (1856-1937) who purchased it in 1903 and renamed it Elizabeth on the Chattahoochee, in honor of his mother.

Corn Crib No. 2

Hardman was the the son of a physician and a longtime physician himself who was also involved in numerous successful businesses.

Gear House, where riding gear was kept for convenience. A covered 8-foot-deep cistern was discovered during renovation, and was probably originally used to collect water for the farm’s horses.

He joined his father’s practice in 1890 after study in New York, Pennsylvania, and London. He came to the Nacoochee Valley from Harmony Grove [present-day Commerce] and within a few years married the much younger Emma Griffin of Valdosta, whom he had courted for many years.

General Store

He served in the Georgia House for eight years and sponsored a bill that created the State Board of Health.

Caretaker’s House (Minish Family Home)

He also served for a year in the Georgia Senate and then made two unsuccessful runs for governor. He was finally elected to the state’s highest office in 1927 and served two terms.

West End House

Nacoochee Valley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Lawton Place, Circa 1884, Mount Airy

Alexander Robert Lawton built this as a summer home [christened ‘Seventh Heaven’] between 1884-1885 and his boosterism helped make Mt. Airy a popular resort area. Lawton was a Confederate general and attorney who later served as president of the Augusta & Savannah Railroad. Upon General Lawton’s death in 1898, the family’s holdings in Mt. Airy were sold and the house came into the possession of Caroline Thompson, who owned it until 1911.

Mrs. Gene Keen-Knight of Vicksburg, Mississippi, apparently didn’t live in the house but maintained it as a rental property. It was during her ownership that baseball legend Ty Cobb lived here. He was having a house built on a large piece of property nearby and called the Lawton place home for a few years, in the 1950s. After Mrs. Keen-Knight’s death the house was sold yet again and several owners have followed. Most recently, it served as an event space known as Lawton Place Manor.

National Register of Historic Places

Colonel Edward Payson Miller House, Circa 1845, Walthourville

I identified this as the Miller House, using a photograph in Virginia Fraser Evans’s Liberty County: A Pictorial History. Colonel Edward Payson Miller was a Confederate veteran associated with the Liberty Independent Troop and one of the most prominent members of the community, serving as a leader in the Walthourville Presbyterian Church. It is also known as the Miller-Dryden House.

Wilkins House, Circa 1900, Waynesboro

This home is as difficult to photograph as its architectural style is to define. It is much more Eclectic than Victorian. Built for William Archibald Wilkins, who was a Confederate major and  mayor of Waynesboro, it hosted President William Howard Taft during a visit to the city in 1910. It is also known as the Wilkins-Hagood House.

Waynesboro Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Woodland, 1877, Wheeler County

Passing through rural Wheeler County from Lumber City (Telfair) to Alamo, one cannot miss this Eclectic Victorian with Carpenter Gothic details. An exquisite two-story arcade (not visible in this photograph) connects the main section of the house to a rear addition. More than one friend has commented over the years that the sight of the house stopped them in their tracks. It is a standout in South Georgia, out of place in a landscape most characterized by simple vernacular dwellings.

McArthur Family, vintage photograph courtesy Elizabeth Chancellor

The McArthur family owned portions of the land around the house beginning in 1827. From the shambles of the cotton economy Walter T. McArthur (1837-1894) developed his father’s farmland into a thriving timber plantation and completed Woodland in 1877, the year of his father’s death. A Captain Renwick and Johnus Thormaholon are listed as the architects/builders. Walter was a Confederate veteran and served in the Georgia legislature from 1868-1871. His son Douglas later maintained and managed the property. It was sold in 1917 to Emory Winship (1872-1932). Winship was a career naval officer from a prominent Macon family and primarily used the house as a hunting lodge during his ownership.

The property is currently on the market.

National Register of Historic Places

Mitchell J. Green Plantation, 1878, Evans County

A classic two-story house with a metal roof, surrounded by trees and bushes, showcasing a traditional architectural style.

Intact historic farms survive only through the care of generations of families; the Mitchell J. Green plantation in Evans County is an excellent example. In 1868, after service in the Confederacy, Mr. Green built a log cabin  on the property and commenced farming. The thriving operation became the center of a small community known as Green and had its own post office from 1882-1904. Mr. Green served as postmaster. A Plantation Plain farmhouse with Victorian accents, built in 1878, anchors the property. Numerous dependencies remain.

A wooden, rustic house with a metal roof, partially surrounded by trees and green grass, under a cloudy blue sky.

Commissaries are iconic components of Georgia’s plantations and many remained in use on larger farms until World War II. The Green Commissary appears to be in excellent condition; the shed protrusion is likely a later addition.

An old wooden barn with a red roof, surrounded by green grass and trees, under a partly cloudy sky.

The stock/hay barn is the largest outbuilding on the property.

A large two-story house with a porch, surrounded by trees and greenery.

National Register of Historic Places

Harris-Bullock House, 1846 & 1928, Cuthbert

Built as a wood frame house for John West Harris (1823-1895), this grand home was remodeled to its present appearance by Henry Lewis Hill, Sr. (1887-1959), in 1928. The rooms feature Adam mantels and decorative molded ceilings. The original carriage steps remain in front of the house.

I am most grateful to Karan Pittman for her assistance in identifying this and the remaining houses in Cuthbert. It means a lot to me when people share their time and resources. While I have access to lots of information, I occasionally run into snags, and Cuthbert has been quite confusing, to say the least. The National Register form for the Cuthbert Historic District is missing its map and online resources are nearly non-existent. This is a real shame, as Cuthbert has a rich architectural heritage. The local government would do well to promote this through a self-guided walking tour.

Cuthbert Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

General Clement Evans Boyhood Home, Circa 1835, Lumpkin

One of Georgia’s best-known citizens during his lifetime, General Clement Anselm Evans (1833-1911) was born near Lumpkin to Anselm  & Sarah Evans and grew up in this house. He was admitted to the bar at the age of 18 and married Mary Allen “Allie” Walton in 1854 . He was soon thereafter elected to a Stewart County judgeship and five years later was elected a state senator on the Know-Nothing ticket.

In April 1861, Evans resigned his legislative post and joined the Confederate army as a private. He became commander of the Bartow Guards (Thirty-first Georgia Infantry) in 1862, fought at Shenandoah and was present at nearly every battle of the Army of Northern Virginia. Evans was promoted to brigadier general in 1864.

After the war, General Evans was ordained a Methodist minister. He served at least six congregations in North Georgia over the course of 26 years. Upon the death of his wife in 1884, he married Sarah Ann Avary Howard. After retiring from the ministry, he edited the 13-volume Confederate Military History and co-edited the influential Cyclopedia of Georgia. He was a co-founder and Georgia Division commander of the United Confederate Veterans and served the organization as commander-in-chief  from 1909-1911. His body lay in state in the state capitol and his funeral was heavily attended. Evans County was named in his honor in 1914.

Pigtail Alley Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Cobb House, 1850s, Americus

The central portion of this house, thought to date to around 1850, was originally located in the nearby town of Oglethorpe. A terrible epidemic there in 1862 left as many as 100 dwellings uninhabited and the house was purchased by Colonel Charles J. Malone and moved to Americus. Captain John A. Cobb, a Georgia legislator, bought it in 1883 and it remained in his family for well over a century.

Americus native Edith Burnham Maletsky (age 89) shared this wonderful memory on 13 July 2022: The three Cobb sisters who lived there  were genteel spinsters who devoted their entire lives to the betterment of the women and children of Americus. They were feminists before that word had ever been coined, and with the softest velvet glove touch. They were a big influence on my life and on all the lives of the women and children of that time; they were icons and role models for those of us who were young back then and fortunate enough to have them in our lives.

Americus Historic District, National Register of Historic Places

Brewton-Hendrix House House, Circa 1858, Evans County

A charming two-story house with white siding, black shutters, and a front porch. The yard features a white picket fence and potted plants, with tall trees in the background.

Oral tradition suggests that this Plantation Plain farmhouse was built for Jonathan Bacon Brewton (1827-1897) by Amos Hearn, the builder of the nearby A. D. Eason House. Brewton was the son of one of the area’s earliest settlers, Benjamin Brewton, who came to Tattnall County (now Evans) in 1794 from Warren County. He married Margaret Everett in 1848 and one of their sons, John Carter Brewton, was a co-founder and the first president of Brewton-Parker College.

Jonathan served as Clerk of the Superior Court of Tattnall County and two terms in the Georgia House of Representatives . From late 1862 until early 1864 he was active in the 5th Georgia Cavalry but returned before war’s end upon his  election as clerk of the court. In 1865 a foraging party of Union troops passed through the area and ransacked the house. After the war, Brewton continued his enterprises and also operated a general store and post office.  The community around the house and store was known as Haw Pond at the time. Brewton also owned a gristmill, lumber mill and cotton gin. Brewton’s heirs sold the house to one of their former sharecroppers, James A. Hendrix, in 1936. The Willcox family has owned it since 1990.

Source: Pharris DeLoach Johnson,  Houses of Heart Pine: A Survey of the Antebellum Architecture of Evans County, Georgia.