Morel-Butler House, 1818 + 1869, Savannah

Morel-Butler house on Orleans Square in Savannah, Georgia, surrounded by moss-draped oaks under a soft blue sky.

This imposing house, located on Orleans Square, was built with the labor of enslaved men for John Henry Morel (c. 1780-1834) circa 1818. Morel was a member of one of early Savannah’s most prominent families. His grandfather, John Morel, was born to Swiss immigrant Peter Morel, in the year Savannah was established. By the 1760s John Morel owned Ossabaw Island, where he established a large plantation, cultivating indigo and harvesting vast amounts of timber, through the forced labor of enslaved men and women. He eventually acquired and resided at Beaulieu Plantation, on the Vernon River. He served on Savannah’s Council of Safety, which was central to the patriot cause during the American Revolution and was active in local government. His myriad agricultural pursuits made him one of the largest slaveholders in 18th-century Savannah, owning 155 human beings at the time of his death in 1777.

John Henry Morel married Catherine Millen Waldberg, the widow of Jacob Waldberg, in 1803, and Waldberg’s plantation Cottonham, on the Great Ogeechee Neck in Bryan County, was transferred to Morel upon their marriage. Catherine presumably died circa 1811 and Morel married Sarah Martha DeVeaux Alger. In the first two decades of the 19th century, legal proceedings indicate that Morel didn’t have his family’s economic sensibilities. He was sued multiple times for unpaid taxes and other charges, though his vast inheritances appeared to protect him from the worst of outcomes.

In 1816, he purchased the lot on which the Morel-Gilbert House was built. That same year (1818), he was appointed U. S. Marshal for Savannah. In that position, he presided over the case of the slave ship Antelope. Considering that his family’s prosperity was wholly dependent upon the institution of slavery, he was ill-suited for the case, but that was to be its trajectory. The Antelope was brought to Savannah in June 1820 after being seized by the revenue cutter Dallas off the coast of Florida for being Spanish-flagged. The 280 Africans on board were placed in Morel’s custody for seven years as the case languished in the courts. Ultimately, the United States Supreme Court heard the case but with four slave-holding members on the bench at the time, was ambiguous in its ruling. They deferred to the 1808 act prohibiting the importation of slaves, but only to a point. 93 of the captives, who had already been accounted for, were condemned to slavery, while 120 were freed and sent to Liberia, establishing the colony of New Georgia. The disposition and handling of the case brought criticism from Francis Scott Key, John Quincy Adams, and Savannah’s own Richard Habersham and was an early national debacle regarding this vile institution.

After Morel’s death, the house was sold at public auction. I haven’t been able to document other owners until 1869, when it was purchased by Gilbert Butler (1797-1875). Butler, a prominent Savannah builder and architect, also served as a city alderman and fireman, and in 1853 crafted the iron fence that still surrounds Johnson Square. The house was extensively renovated during Butler’s ownership and remains an icon of Orleans Square.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Lavinia Low House, 1844, Savannah

The Lavinia Low House in Savannah, Georgia.

This townhouse was built in 1844. A date plate on the house states it was built in 1854 for Lavinia Low, but I believe this may indicate the time she took possession of the property. An earlier date plate identified as the John Low House, built in 1844, and historical sources consulted confirm this.

Lavinia Amelia Myers Low (c. 1786-1865) was married to Captain John Low (c.1784-1876), presumably circa 1814-1817. They had at least four children. Low, a native of Northern Ireland, was a successful entrepreneur who served as Savannah harbormaster and a member of the board of health. He was an investor in several steamboats, including the St. Matthews and the schooner Georgia Ann, and a marine railway on Hutchinson Island. He was also involved in real estate and owned numerous houses in Savannah. Further pursuits included shares in the Savannah Insurance and Trust Company and the Central Rail Road and Banking Company of Georgia. Genealogists infer that he was not related to the better-known Andrew Low.

The marriage ended in public scandal in the 1840s due to John’s adultery. Lavinia successfully sued him for adultery and assault and battery, and also brought a lawsuit against his paramour. A judgement ordered Captain Low out of their home and Lavinia and her daughters received a sizable fortune, including four houses in Savannah. Ownership of Low’s enslaved people, including Charlotte, Dick, Bella, Sally, Jane, Kent, and Julianna, was also transferred to Lavinia. A divorce was not obtained, though John left Savannah and eventually settled in Griffin, where he remained very successful, with a net worth at his death of over $325,000 (approximately $11 million in 2026). Notably, he was buried beside Lavinia in Laurel Grove Cemetery, despite their marital discord and separation.

Front view of the Lavinia Low House, in Savannah, Georgia.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Lost Landmark: Frawley’s Store Inspired Photographers and Served Generations of Fishermen

Ruins of a historic store in Scarboro, Georgia.

Dee Dailey, whose family has deep connections to the history of Scarboro, recently contacted me with the sad news that the iconic Frawley’s Store building had collapsed. She noted that the area experienced a thunderstorm with strong winds the week before.

Ruins of Frawley's Store in Scarboro, Georgia.

From any angle, it’s obvious that the store is beyond repair. It’s an unfortunate, but not completely surprising fate, considering how long it has been abandoned. It is believed that the store was built by G. E. Burns in the early 1900s, though it is most associated with Mr. Hazel Frawley, a beloved local legend. Frawley’s was a favorite bait and snack stop for fishermen putting in at Scarboro Landing for generations, and according to Betty Jean Kirkland, hosted musicians and dances in later years.

A view of Scarboro Landing Bait and Tackle, after collapsing.

I feel lucky to have documented the landmark on many visits to Scarboro over the years.

Stephen Williams House, 1834, Savannah

A historic two-story house featuring beige siding, black shutters, and a white front porch with steps. The structure has several large windows and decorative elements, set amongst lush greenery and a parking area.

This home was built for Stephen B. Williams, a merchant in early 19th century Savannah, circa 1834. He was born circa 1805. His date of death is not known at this time, but it was after 1859. In The Georgia Catalog, John Linley suggests the Federal townhouse was originally one room deep and was enlarged and remodeled circa 1853.

A historic two-story house with a brown wooden exterior and black shutters, featuring a front porch and landscaped greenery in the foreground.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Lewis Bird House, 1838, Savannah

Lewis Bird House in Savannah.

The Bird-Baldwin House, as this Federal style landmark is also known, is considered the oldest house in Savannah south of Liberty Street. Construction of the left side began in 1838 and the stuccoed right side was completed in 1860. The house was built for attorney Lewis Bird (1810-1838), a native of Effingham County, but he and his entire family were killed on 14 June 1838 in the explosion of the Steamship Pulaski off the coast of North Carolina and never occupied the house. Bird’s mother, Sarah Zant Bird (c. 1777-1854), sold it to his law partner, a Mr. Baldwin.

Bird-Baldwin House in Savannah's National Historic Landmark District.

The house was seized and occupied by General William T. Sherman’s staff in December 1864 during the Union Army’s occupation of Savannah.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Sorrel-Weed House, 1840, Savannah

The Sorrel-Weed House in Savannah, Georgia.

The Old Sorrel-Weed House, also known as the Francis Sorrel House, was an early symbol for historic preservation in Savannah. It was designed and built between 1835-1840 in the Greek Revival style, with strong Regency influences, by Charles Cluskey for Mathurin Francois “Francis” Sorrel (1793-1870). Sorrel was an immigrant of French descent, born in the Dominican Republic. He was a longtime enslaver and transporter of enslaved people and a guardian of several free women of color. He married into the wealthy Moxley family of Virginia, first to Lucinda J. Moxley (1805-1827) in 1822. After her death from yellow fever, he married one of her sisters, Matilda Aminta Douglass Moxley (1806-1860). Their son, Gilbert Moxley Sorrel (1838-1901), was a Brigadier General for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Robert E. Lee was a good friend of Francis Sorrel’s, dating back to the 1830s, and was a guest in the home during late 1861 and early 1862.

The home was sold to prominent Savannah merchant Henry Davis Weed (1803-1875) in 1862 and his family retained ownership until 1914.

Savannah retailer A. J. Cohen, Sr., bought the home in 1941 and it remained in the family until the early 1990s. The first scene of Forrest Gump was filmed from the rooftop of the Sorrel-Weed House, and numerous ghost hunter programs have filmed here, as well. It is considered one of the most haunted places in Savannah. It is now a house museum.

Savannah National Historic Landmark District, National Register of Historic Places

Gable Front Cottage, Burroughs

A small white house with blue trim and a falling roof, surrounded by lush greenery, in Burroughs, Georgia.

Burroughs was a community of formerly enslaved people in southwestern Chatham County who, in the 1870’s and 1880’s, were given the opportunity to buy the land they were living on from their former enslavers. Today, St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church and New Ogeechee Missionary Baptist Church are the tangible links to that past. Simple vernacular housing, such as the example pictured here, were once common in the community, but are rapidly vanishing.

St. Bartholomew’s Day School, 1897, Burroughs

St Bartholomew's Day School, a historic black school in Burroughs, near Savannah, Georgia.

The St. Barholomew’s Day School was constructed in 1897. It was operated by the St. Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church until 1916, at which time Chatham County rented the building and took over its operation. It was closed as a school in 1951 and has since served as the parish hall.

National Register of Historic Places

Live Oak at Middle Place, Ossabaw Island

A moss-draped Live Oak at Middle Place, site of the Genesis Project, on Ossabaw Island, Georgia.

This is a relatively young tree, by Live Oak (Quercus virginiana) standards, but it’s a treasured memory of my visit to the island. It’s located on the site of Middle Place Plantation, which was home to the Genesis Project.

Angel Oak, Ossabaw Island

A large, moss-covered tree with sprawling branches covered in Spanish moss, surrounded by lush greenery and palm fronds.

This tree, known to most visitors to Ossabaw Island and not much beyond, is called the “Angel Oak”, for its shape, which mimics raised arms or wings. It can be presumed that it was damaged or deformed early in its growth, but from this damage came a beautiful living work of art.