Dry Pond Methodist traces its origins to the early 1820s and the property where the church now stands was given to the early Methodist Episcopal congregants by Joseph McCutchins in 1827. Typical of many congregations Dry Pond built their first church of logs while maintaining a large campground at the site. A more substantial structure was built circa 1870 and served until the construction of the present church was completed in 1904.
The congregation who built this typical late-19th century house of worship organized in the idyllic Apple Valley community in 1887 and raised this structure the next year. It is thought to have also been used as a schoolhouse.
Built just before the Civil War, the Presbyterian Church is the oldest church building in Jefferson. It originally featured a steeple which was lost to a storm in 1943. The Presbyterians shared the church with the Baptists until they built their first permanent home in 1887. A former private residence adjacent to the church now serves as the congregational office.
Jefferson Historic District, National Register of Historic Places
Butts County was formed in 1825, with Jackson becoming the first and only county seat. Three or four (the history is unclear) courthouses served the county before the Civil War, when the courthouse at the time was burned by Union forces during Sherman’s March to the Sea. The present structure was built in 1897-98.
National Register of Historic Places